Monday, June 13, 2016

...and a new era with Fall 2016 interns!

Today was the first day at Team Disney for the Fall 2016 interns. This is my second round of new interns since starting at Team Disney. It's so funny because on the first day it is sooooo easy to tell the interns apart from everyone else. 

First off, they are all dressed really nice. Now, this isn't to say that everyone else dresses like a bum. However, the beautiful thing about working in a non-guest facing role is the Disney Casual Look. So in reality most people are in jeans and a not-too-casual top. However, all the interns are dressed super business-y the first day (and generally pretty nice for the following week or so). Now don't think I am too judg-y, because I TOTALLY did the same thing during my second PI at Maingate and during the first week or so of my full time position at Team Disney. I think it is definitely the way to go when starting a new position. You don't want to underestimate what your area wears and not get off on the best foot possible.

I literally just want to go up to all of them and introduce myself, but I don't want a reputation of being some creepy, over-eager person. I also keep reminding myself that the number of people you meet in the first week or so is so overwhelming. I figure I'll let them know the people they actually need to know first and then maybe I'll introduce myself.

I only saw the F&B interns for a tiny bit today when I saw them going on a tour and sitting in their cube at the very end of the day. I think they were in a conference room for the rest of the day. I think I want to give myself a goal with each set of interns. Last set of interns I wanted to try and introduce myself and become friendly with the F&B interns since they sit right outside my desk. I think this round of interns I want to get to know these new F&B interns AND make myself try and get to know at least one other set of interns. Right now I am thinking I will stay on my floor which means the largely MSI cube or Decision Science cube. Honestly, many people in decision science intimidate me. Many of them, including at least some of the interns, have PhDs. They are all just SUPER smart and I feel very inadequate around them. So I think I will lean towards the MSI cube. I will still probably try and get closer to the F&B interns since there is less than half the amount of MSI or Decision Science interns so it will be less pressure to just stop by and I literally pass by them a dozen times a day.

If you are an intern just starting, I hope that wherever you are working your first few days are going fantastic and that you are enjoying the magic!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete