Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Ilvermorny House!

While I work for Disney, I have LOVVVVVED Harry Potter since I received the first book as a birthday present when I was about 7. My dad would read them to me at first, but by the time the 6th book came out I read it in a fury the day it released so nothing would be spoiled. I have long claimed Ravenclaw as my house and even sport a Ravenclaw case on my iPhone.

What's awesome about this world that JK Rowling created is that it still resonates with so many people and it is continuing to be expanded on. One of the exciting parts of the new Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie is that she has begun to flesh out the wizarding world in America. While I have to be honest and wasn't the biggest fan of what was released a few months ago about magic in the US, I have to say that with the new information about the American schools for witches and wizards, Ilvermorny, and it's founding has at least partially restored my faith and excitement. The history of the founders and how the sorting ceremony differs was so exciting and was something that I connected much more with than the seemingly poor research on Native American history aspect that had previously been released. There is even a new sorting ceremony on Pottermore for the school, so naturally I had to take it to find out what house I would be in. The result is...

Thunderbird!!!

As Pottermore states, "Named by Chadwick Boot after his favourite magical beast, the Thunderbird, a beast that can create storms as it flies. Thunderbird house is sometimes considered to represent the soul of a witch or wizard. It is also said that Thunderbird favours adventures."

I have to say at first I wanted to be sorted into this house because it had the coolest sounding name, but once I read the history of the houses I felt a little torn that as a Ravenclaw I should have gotten the Horned Serpent. However, the more I think about it, I think that Thunderbird does represent me well. I do love knowledge, but I am not one to sit upon that knowledge. I love exploring to see what else I can learn and experience, but I can also leave a bit of a storm in my wake as I sometimes get defensive or argumentative when I don't think that people are acting rationally or challenge my intelligence. I also really value the intentions of individuals and I often feel guilty myself if I don't do things for the right reasons so I think the soul aspect fits since a person down to their core is important. Plus I am so interested in why people do the things they do and what life experiences have shaped them to where they are or if the way a person acts is because of their base deep down. Therefore, I think in someways with the limited information out there about the American houses, I think that in some ways Thunderbird might fit me even more than Ravenclaw does (but I guess that partially happens when an author leaves a lot up to their readers imagination to fill in ;) )

Now if you are even just a casual Harry Potter fan I would say to get over to Pottermore and read the new info on the founding of Hogwart's American counterpart, Ilvermorny, and get yourself sorted!

No comments:

Post a Comment