Saturday, August 29, 2015

The Screening Interview

As this application cycle gets underway, I am seeing a ton of people on the Facebook page wanting to know more about the screening interview. For my first internship I only applied to Animal Programs positions, which do not require a screening interview. Instead the animal programs team as a questionnaire they send out to applicants that helps them determine who they are going to continue to consider for interviews.

For my second round of applying for internships, I applied for more of a variety (Animal Programs, an MI, and other PIs). Once again Animal Programs doesn't use a screening interview, but since I had applied for other positions I recieved an email to schedule time for a screening interview. I believe it showed up under my MI, but this screening interview (as the recruiter will tell you when you start) can be used for any/all positions you applied for. I actually applied to many of my PIs after my screening, including the one I ultimately was hired for. I have, however, heard of individuals who have been called back to answer additional questions and even someone on the Facebook group mentioned having 3 screeners last year!

Almost everyone who has passed the computer resume screen gets a screening interview since it is often how the recruiters decide which names to pass on to the individual hiring managers. However, don't be worried if you don't receive one right away, or even after other people on the internet have had them. It looks like this year they are starting with people who applied for Alumni Only, but they have a ton of people and will eventually get to you (unless however the department you are applying within doesn't use the screening interview). 

When you do get your email for a screening interview you will use your dashboard to schedule a time. Don't worry if you don't see a time available on the site. Times are always getting added so just try waiting a few hours to a day to see if more open up before reaching out to the recruiter if you really need some more options. There are all sorts of times, too. I have seen people have them for just about any day of the week at almost any time (I think I remember seeing people schedule them past 8 o'clock at night!) Just make sure to schedule your interview within 2 days of getting the email and make sure to chose a time that will allow you to be in a calm place, without distractions, and where you won't have to be rushing from one place to another. 

After scheduling your phone screen, sit back and try to be well prepared about thinking of potential interview questions and questions you want to ask the interviewer. Depending on the position you are applying for this might be your first of a few rounds of interviews or it might be the only one used to help make a decision. Because of this, try to be yourself, smile, and be proud of your work and accomplishments so you can prove to those recruiters that you are the perfect person for the job. Remember, don't stress too much! The recruiters are really nice people who want to see people succeed and know how nerve wracking it can be. So prepare, have some notes, but make sure you are calm so you can ace that screening interview!

(I'll do a post on potential questions when I get a chance!)

1 comment:

  1. I don't see many comments on your posts, but I hope you know people are reading them! I am researching (read: stalking) as many blogs as I can and the FB group so that when its time to apply (still a year out for me!), I will be as prepared as possible.

    So thanks for your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete