Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Second Interview

Other News First
Went to Hope College (my alma mater!) today to meet up with one of my professors about the work I have been doing for the Chem Department from home. I thought I would be done, but I still have a few more hours of work I'll have to do on Thursday. It was really hard to say goodbye to a bunch of my professors. This is the first time in 4 years that I don't know the next time I will be in Holland. While there were times that I really didn't want to be there, I had a lot of good times on campus. I will really miss it. I am really sad I didn't get to see the professor I did research for since he is moving to Spokane, WA in 2-3 weeks. It is really hard since it is one of the first times that I feel like I possibly won't ever see someone again. I keep telling myself my family used to live in Spokane and since that is were I was born there is a chance that I could be back there someday. I am still glad I got to back, but for the first time in forever (cue Frozen music) I am I looking forward to the next time I can go back.


Onto the Purpose of this Post...Second Interviews!
So I already mentioned the screening interview that most of the Professional Internships have to do with one of the Disney Recruiters. After your screening interview (or right after you have submitted your application) the recruiters will pass on applications that they think could be a good fit to the managers in the Line of Business for your position. This is often where the waiting comes into play. These managers are often have a full time job to complete before they can even look at intern applications. 

Possible Next Steps After Screening Interview After the managers look at your application, there are a few different things that can happen: you can get a supplemental application, you can get a second interview, or you could potentially not hear anything. Don't fret! Not hearing anything isn't necessarily bad. Some positions, especially Alumni Only ones, don't even have a second interview. However, positions like MIs (Management Internships), pretty much have a set number of interviews from year to year. MIs often have two or three interviews (including the screening one) so if you don't hear about a second interview and other people are getting thirds, it might be a sign that you not get the position. However, until your position goes NLIC you don't have to lose all hope. 

Types of Second Interviews A lot of positions have phone interviews for second interviews and some do an internet video interview. Very, very few will even give you the option to interview in person, but MIs are the only ones that I know of that typically do have the option to do an in person second interview (but you don't have to!). Second interviews vary a ton between positions; a lot last about 20-40min, but it isn't unheard of for some people to have ones that are HOURS long. If you ask me, if you get an interview a couple of hours long, I think there is generally a pretty good change you will get the position because I don't foresee many people having a lot of time to do more than a handful of interviews of that length.

If you want to know about a specific position, feel free to ask, but a good place to go is to join past Professional Internships group pages on Facebook and search to see if there is anything about it. Since I did a Montage Interview, I can post about my experience with that next.

No comments:

Post a Comment